Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The woes of a pedestrian

And the pedestrian is an old man. Well, I was eating out last evening and was having a nice time... and in the middle of the conversation my eyes fell on the highway that runs next to the restaurant I was in. The road was in perfect shape apt for heavy and fast vehicles. All the vehicles starting from 2-wheelers to heavy loaded trucks were moving in high speed. And in the middle of the road an old man was standing alone raising his hand to stop the coming vehicles so that he can cross the road. And he stood there at least for five minutes, in the middle of the road, moving here and there trying to save himself at the same time. As I was watching, my heart raced up..what about that poor fellow? And no vehicle was caring to stop! And after 5 minutes (that excludes the time before I noticed him), somehow he managed to cross it. We sighed in relief.. What if one of those vehicles would have turned into a monster that evening and crushed him? 

One may say, well there are overhead bridges...roads are for riding n driving...its the pedestrian's responsibility to be safe...I want to answer this. Hello... that was an extremely long stretch of highway...you won't find an overhead bridge or zebra crossing for at least a kilometer...where it is a compulsion for a pedestrian to face the monster vehicles and cross the road...  And that's how it happens everywhere in Hyderabad and, I am sure, in many other cities...

With this, I pray for the safety of all the pedestrians on the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment