Sunday, May 4, 2014

Return from Kolkata: the chivalrous bus conductor!

I had to catch the morning train at 7.30 AM back to Brahmapur. I left the beautiful campus of ISI, Kolkata at around 5.30 AM. It was still dark, but not so cold. My friend Vidyadhar was generous to drop me at the gate, and help me with the buses. I got into a small bus that was going to Howrah station. As I got in, I felt the state of everyone and hesitated. The conductor was an old man, but was a gentleman... He took my trolly bag from my hand, secured it through a chain and directed me to a seat. I wish young guys learn that chivalry from that old man! As I looked around for a seat, I found small amount of space in the last row. I hesitantly went along with the silent gaze of everyone and squeezed myself in that little space. The bus was silent, not much of chit-chatting could be heard... May be it was the effect of cool winter morning! I would raise myself a little to check if my bag is safe in the front every now and then... When we reached Howrah, I went ahead to unchain my bag, but the old conductor did not let me do so. He unchained the bag, indicated me to get down first, brought down the bag for me! He was too old to lift the bag, and I was perfectly capable of lifting my luggage, and both of us were aware of that! Still he cared to do that just because I was a lady! I said a heartfelt thank you and walked towards the station. As I said thanks, I felt a bit strange. I felt the word 'thank you' should not exist. It dilutes the gratitude we want to express...

No comments:

Post a Comment