Monday, May 5, 2014

Return from Kolkata: the gigantic Howrah Bridge

The bus reached Howrah in approximately half-an-hour. In about the same time, the gigantic Howrah bridge loomed into the picture. It was huge! As the bus passed by the bridge, it looked steely cold... It was huge, majestic, awe inspiring, but not beautiful or charming ... I felt it lost its charm over years with dust, pollution, noise and time. It created an image of an old man in my mind. Face and body full of wrinkles, ... wearing a faded smile, as if these many years of living taught him that life is nothing but pain and hardship. But certainly a tough and stout posture. Still he appeared strong, standing straight, with head up, a straight back, strong limbs, broad torso ... wearing suit ... exuding luxury, status and strength... As if his picture will make you instantly think that he must be a charming young man in his haydays ! :P

I did not feel happy or excited to see the bridge. I walked along dragging my trolley bag while cooking up this analogy in my mind :P

Howrah Station with the Howrah Bridge at the backdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment