Monday, February 2, 2015

The Mexican lady and my Woow moment

It was 18th of January, 2015. A Sunday afternoon. I joined the Urban Sketcher Boston's meetup at Prudential Tower in Boston.  It was my first time in the meetup. Although the meetup was scheduled to be from 2PM to 4PM, I decided to stay back and finish my sketch. As I was sitting and trying to finish my work in the bustling cafeteria, an old lady came to sit on the nearby table. She was flamboyantly dressed... with a copper sulphate blue colored long flowy gown, a metallic belt that was intricately designed, and a furry coat. Even with eccentric clothing of American people around, she looked little out-of-place. I took a moment to notice her and went back to my work. But that would not happen. She insisted to shift my table to make space for her cart. I did that courteously and tried to continue my sketch. Then, she came close to me and started saying something. It took me a while to know that she was not speaking English.  I tried telling her that I do not understand her by using signs. She did not appear baffled, ashamed, or confused. She was confident, unaffected by the fact that she is in a place where people do not understand her. Then she indicated that she needed my help in unbuttoning her belt, which she could not. I happily did that for her. But she would not go. She was standing there, pretty close to me by American standards, adjusting her cloth. I became nervous and told to myself, "If she does not move away in another minute, I am going to get up, pack my stuff and run!". But then she moved away, found a chair for herself and sat down. I sighed with relief...

Then a waitress came to her and talked to her for sometime. The waitress looked Mexican, so I guessed, may be this lady is from Mexico and that waitress is her daughter. As the old lady enjoyed her food, I took my time to complete my sketch. I finished my work around 5 PM and got up to pack up. Then I signalled her that I am going to leave, and asked her where is she from, and said that I can only speak English.... atleast that's what I was trying to express ... then she said lot of things, of which I could understand the word "Mexico". Then I waved my hand to say bye... She gave a big smile and blew a flying kiss for me before waving her hands again!

That... was my woow moment,  that I took with me for the rest of the evening :)

2 comments: